Woodworking Questions

If you have any questions on woodworking, we will try to answer them from a working craftsman’s background. I answer hundreds of questions each month.

These questions are often duplicate questions and my answer could actually be answering your questions and your questions might be someone else’s. From the wood finishes we use or don’t use to how to sharpen my dovetail saw for finer work and not dovetails I want to answer them.

You can ask here by going to ‘Leave a Comment’ above, or via Facebook or Twitter if you prefer. You can do it anonymously or give your name or nickname. I look forward to hearing your question and always remember-the hardest question to answer is the one that’s never asked.

1. Georges on 24 January 2017 at 7:42 pm

Hi Paul
    I’m currently building à wooden floor in my basement, and i’m currently waiting for the decking planks to dry,they’re rough sawn construction grade planks 27×150 mm and 3,3m in length.
    Should i fix them with the heart facing up or down?

• Paul Sellers on 24 January 2017 at 7:57 pm

Usually you sight along for ‘crown‘ and place them crown up if there is any.

2. Alec Nemeth on 20 March 2017 at 11:57 am

Hello Paul,
    Thanks to you I rarely use my electric router after seeing you use yours. Having purchased a pre owned Stanley router plane with poorly ground blades it took me an age to bring them back to a keen edge. Do you have an easy and quicker way to true and sharpen them?
    I admire, respect and appreciate you skills and wealth of knowledge.

Many thanks for countless hours of joy you bring.

Alec.

• Paul Sellers on 20 March 2017 at 1:38 pm

It should take no more than 3 minutes to file and sharpen any scraper type with a 10″flat file, a burnisher and sharpening stone.

3. Nouman on 17 August 2017 at 10:06 am

Hi, it will be really appreciated if you solve a couple of my problems. After reading and watching videos of wood working, I’ve decided to get my hands dirty and want to work on a simple project for my own house.
    I am planning to build a couple of decorative shadow boxes with paint job. To hang it on the wall, I have decided to drill holes in the wood and hang the boxes on the screws drilled in the wall so that the screws remain invisible. The problem is that I am unable to decide between MDF and Plywood. I have read the differences of both but still need guidance. Can you help me out with it?

4. William Pegler on 7 March 2018 at 6:59 pm

Hello Paul,

I have a question regarding the sharpening of chisels. I have already watched your videos which were really helpful but I just need a bit of purchasing advice.

I already have a 1000 grit diamond stone which I am impressed with so far but I am aware that I need to use finer stones to improve the edge. I was wondering which stone I should purchase to follow the 1000 grit, before the use of a leather strop like you use.

Thanks very much,

Will

• Paul Sellers on 7 March 2018 at 7:10 pm

None, that’s plenty fine enough. Go to the strop and that will do 99.9% of anything you need.

5. Ashley on 27 September 2018 at 3:32 pm

I need help Can you help me]

6. Calvin Bartechko on 1 March 2019 at 7:17 pm

I want to make a cube that has a 12″ measure inside. This cube is to be made from 1/2 ” plywood and the seams are cut to 45 degrees . How do I measure the wood so the inside is 12″. I hope that you can help.

7. George on 28 April 2019 at 1:32 am

Paul, I have been looking for a plough plane. I have missed out on several Record 044’s on Ebay. I have a chance to get a Record 050 in very nice condition with all of the cutters. What do you think of the 050 as a plough plane?