Know anyone called Reeves?

Must be a woodworker with an initial T.

A friend of the school donated some tools to the school this weekend and amongst the tools was a steel name stamp with the stamp name T REEVES.

Craftsmen through two centuries have used personal name stamps like this to mark their tools permanently. It would be easy to lose a tool or two when half a dozen men were working on a large project.

Here is the impression made from the stamp. It’s quite crisp and precise.

In our throwaway-saw culture we lose value in the tools we use because we rarely actually earn our living with the tools. Many of the tools I use have served me for over four decades, some are as old as 45 years and many are older because I got them secondhand and they were 50 years old when I got them.

If you know someone working wood with the name T REEVES please ask him or her to contact me. I don’t want a useable name stamp in one of my drawers when it can be used by someone who owns the name.

1. Kenneth T Bruseth on 14 December 2016 at 7:27 pm

So very thoughtful of you and Paul. Did you ever find anyone to give the stamp to?

• Kenneth T Bruseth on 14 December 2016 at 7:29 pm

That should read, so very thoughtful of you Paul.

• Paul Sellers on 14 December 2016 at 8:25 pm

No, but I look forward to the day.

2. Andy on 23 May 2017 at 4:17 pm

Is there an inexpensive way to get a stamp like this made? I like the idea of stamping the things I make.

I recently bought some moulding planes which include the makers’ stamps “Charles & Co.”, “B Frogatt” and what appears to be “CLEGG -~THE MARKET ~~Uxbridg…W”. Given their condition, I was very surprised to find the Charles & Co is likely mid-late 19th century but far more surprised to find the Frogatt is probably mid-late 18th century!

What are your thoughts on a new user adding their name to an old tool that’s come into their possession? I wonder if it has any effect on value (although I hope to use these tools, not just collect them).

• Paul Sellers on 23 May 2017 at 6:13 pm

No problem updating the record with your stamp on there too. Now over-stamping is questionable though many people did do that if they worked with someone with the same name as a previous user on their plane.

• Andy on 24 May 2017 at 4:24 pm

Thanks Paul. Your videos and blog have opened a new world for me in my mid-fifties. In a matter of months I’ve gone from having little interest in woodwork to acquiring a handful of handtools and making my first mallet from fallen timber on my block. I posted a link to it in another comment but it seems to have got stuck in moderation 🙂