Woodworker’s Tool Chest – Replication Means Multiplication

DSC_0023I have decided to make the tool chest shown here and make it a series on my blog. Enough people have said that they would like this so I will post the cutting list shortly. Choose your own wood. I think this will be a most enjoyable task and I will work on it as I teach the upcoming Craftsman Style Rocking Chair. It is simple enough for new woodworkers to make and progress their skills by and then they will have a good place to stow their tools safely.

DSC_0030

We have a couple of places left in the remaining Foundational Courses later this year but please sign up as soon as you can set your schedule because I think they will fill. Above is the classroom. Below are the chairs we make in a few days time.

1. Ian Thomas on 10 September 2014 at 2:14 pm

Can’t wait, no more chisel avalanches!

2. Chris b on 10 September 2014 at 7:21 pm

Marvellous I think I now know what I will be getting for Christmas now its just up to me to making it .. an even better Christmas present 🙂
    look forward to the series
    TIA Paul

3. Dave Grant on 10 September 2014 at 9:53 pm

That shop could use some handcrafted windows.

4. Damien on 10 September 2014 at 10:07 pm

Will it be a lid and bottom drawers model (my preference) or one with internal top drawers as depicted?

5. Dave on 10 September 2014 at 10:27 pm

Are you intending to go through the internal till details and other furniture such as chisel racks and saw racks?

6. Andrew Wilkerson on 11 September 2014 at 1:43 am

We’ve seen him make the bench top one with drawers already. This one has tills as pictured. A traditional tool chest. Much more flexible in terms of storage capacity. Drawers can be limiting. The first thing I will be putting in the bottom of mine will be my #7 plane. I think mine will be just an inch or so longer than my longest plane.

7. Steve Massie on 13 September 2014 at 3:40 pm

This will be a nice series and one I want to build myself. I still plan on building the original one with drawers but trying to collect the right wood for it, I don’t want to use pine on that one.

Steve