Skip to content

Essential Woodworking Hand Tools by Paul Sellers

Essential Woodworking Hand Tools

Getting started has become evermore important to more and more people and I think the hand tools I use create a passage into lifestyle woodworking whether you earn your living from it or simply enjoy woodworking. Here’s the thing. Questions about hand tools still come in every day and people are looking for real answers. Which tools do you buy? How do you set them up, sharpen them and use them? Every one of the hand tools essential to fine woodworking has its own idiosyncrasies so I’ve written down everything I know about them from my 50 years woodworking. The work is just about done and the presses are just about ready to roll. Here is how my new book Essential Woodworking Hand Tools is looking right now. It will be out mid November so I will let you know the exact details soon.  I am grateful to Ryan Cowan for the wonderful care he took in creating real images that matter in conveying my work. Thanks Ryan!Essential Woodworking Hand Tools copy (1)

1. Jeff Guerrero on 31 August 2015 at 10:06 pm

This is great, Paul! I will definitely purchase as soon as I hear it’s out.

2. ant11sam on 31 August 2015 at 10:27 pm

Great news! Just waiting for more details… to order it!!!

3. David Devereux on 31 August 2015 at 10:30 pm

Congratulations on completing this Paul. It deserves to be a highly influential book, so here’s hoping it will be a best Seller (pun intended).

4. Ben F on 31 August 2015 at 10:35 pm

Definitely something I’ll want to have. Great news.

5. davidos on 31 August 2015 at 10:36 pm

about time Mr Sellers ,i was beginning to think this book was fiction ,cant wait really looking forward to it

6. Janne Kärkkäinen on 31 August 2015 at 10:48 pm

I believe I have found a Christmas gift for myself. Just can’t wait it!

7. Chris on 31 August 2015 at 11:04 pm

NICE! A much needed book! Looking forward too Buying one.

8. jdkaiser03 on 31 August 2015 at 11:25 pm

I’ll be buying one!

9. Gary Blair on 31 August 2015 at 11:38 pm

Great news, Paul! I can’t wait to get a copy!

10. Charles on 31 August 2015 at 11:40 pm

I’m very excited for this. Will there be an option for autographed copies?

• Paul Sellers on 1 September 2015 at 7:59 am

Yes, hopefully.

11. Greg Merritt on 31 August 2015 at 11:43 pm

Fantastic Paul! Congratulations! I’m sure it will be a great addition the annals of woodworking Waiting patiently for when and where to purchase my copies. OK, maybe not patiently, but waiting non the less. ?

Greg

12. Dennis Lowe on 31 August 2015 at 11:55 pm

Congratulations on your new book. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

13. parks2167 on 31 August 2015 at 11:57 pm

Wonderful news. Can’t wait for my copy. Between you and LAP, I’ll be up to my neck in reading. Thanks
    Dave

14. Derek Long on 31 August 2015 at 11:58 pm

Congratulations, Paul! That looks to be a hefty tome, no wonder you’ve been at it for awhile.

15. Tom on 1 September 2015 at 12:03 am

Is it coming out in Australia? Or will I need to import it?

• Paul Sellers on 1 September 2015 at 7:57 am

We are committed to making sure everyone can get their copy so there will be no problem, Tom.

16. Jimb on 1 September 2015 at 12:39 am

Just in time for Christmas! Now I’ll know what to say when asked what I would like.

17. Lorenzojose on 1 September 2015 at 12:46 am

ISBN # ?

18. Mark G. on 1 September 2015 at 1:17 am

Beautiful book! It will definitely become a must have!

19. B. J. Parker on 1 September 2015 at 1:23 am

I’ll be buying a copy!

20. John Poutier on 1 September 2015 at 2:07 am

Congratulations Paul! I love the fact that you always go back to the fundamentals and this book appears to do just that. It will be a wonderful lesson in many respects. Thank you.

John

21. Mark on 1 September 2015 at 2:20 am

Great!!! I have been looking forward to your new book.

22. Gary Cook on 1 September 2015 at 6:52 am

Aha! Look forward to adding this to my collection, Paul.

23. Mike Ballinger on 1 September 2015 at 7:21 am

Out of curiosity what font have you used and what paper stock is it printed on? I’ll have to get one of these for Christmas!

24. Misha on 1 September 2015 at 7:37 am

Congratulations Paul! I would certainly like to be among the happy owners. I do wish it were mid November tomorrow.

25. Nathan on 1 September 2015 at 9:59 am

Can’t wait to get a copy of this Paul. Congrats.

26. Steve Harper on 1 September 2015 at 11:33 am

Love the cover photo, Paul – no clean-up, just real world woodworking. We are all blessed by your teaching. Mid-November cannot arrive soon enough!

27. Wayne on 1 September 2015 at 2:16 pm

Congrats on the new book, it looks great! BTW, will there be an ebook version?

28. Jeremy on 1 September 2015 at 2:26 pm

Sir, I am impatiently awaiting this book. I have thought several times of asking of you for a resource just like this. But then thought who am I to demand. Thank you.

29. Kaetwo on 1 September 2015 at 11:23 pm

I can’t wait!!!!

30. Chad Magiera on 2 September 2015 at 5:36 pm

Same as everyone, I’m excited for the release of the new book. Thanks again for all of the effort. Your wisdom and honesty are greatly appreciated. I’ve learned a great deal from all of the videos and the blog. Hope to see you in San Francisco sometime! Cheers

31. Wayne on 2 September 2015 at 7:57 pm

Really looking forward to it!

32. Tom on 3 September 2015 at 12:30 am

Excellent, thank you 🙂

33. Kieran on 4 September 2015 at 6:20 am

Me too. Great to see you have written a book. Your writing style on the blog is very good and clear to follow.

34. John Taylor on 4 September 2015 at 2:15 pm

My 70th end of November…..guess what I’ll be asking for AND signed…..
    I did mention some time ago to Joseph about a calendar using your sketches

Thank you Mr Sellers…….John (2vices)

35. Paul on 5 September 2015 at 3:52 am

Excellent news. Look forward to reading it!

36. Steve Massie on 5 September 2015 at 2:24 pm

Paul “Congratulation”, I will be buying one also. If you have a list put me on it please. Will be buying through you or a bookstore ?

Thanks can’t wait until it becomes available.

Steve

37. MICHAEL SWINBURNE on 5 November 2015 at 11:33 am

Paul I would like to join the stampede in buying your new book. I already have the artisan course and I am more than pleased. Continued success.
    Michael.

38. BillS on 9 November 2015 at 12:50 pm

Any update on the new book? Looking to order or pre-order. Thanks again for another great book.

Bill

39. Tyler on 12 December 2015 at 2:01 pm

Hey Paul, Any update on the release or how to purchase? I know your standards and that you have put a lot of work into making this and every product a masterpiece so I understand it may be taking a little extra time to ensure your quality. Would love to have this for myself and a couple more for friends and family members for Christmas! Also willing to pay extra for an autographed copy!

40. Darren Young on 11 January 2016 at 7:06 am

Any word on this? I’d love to buy it today.

41. Keith Ahlstrom on 8 February 2016 at 8:16 pm

Hi

any update on where and when we can buy this

Thanks

42. Ben Christman on 13 March 2016 at 7:52 pm

Paul, there’s not many books I collect, This looks like one that would be a vital part for any wood worker! I plan to purchase a copy when they hit the market!

Please let me know if you offer autographed editions. Ben C

• Christophe FRANCOIS on I Like These Thingsyes, fully agree ! his work is really great and very nice to watch !!
  • Jason on George Leaves…I always look forward to every new project you begin, and am excited by every new YouTube video and Instagram post you make. You bring out a great level of enthusiasm for woodworki…
  • Troy Durant on Overcoming DisabilityHello Paul Sellers. I enjoy all your tutorials. I especially needed this portion of the blog AND ‘Bench heights and planing technique, youtube’. I'm coming from a former combat eng…
  • Kathy S. on George Leaves…What a wonderful friend and probably the best mentor that anyone could ever have or ask for and his legacy shines through you Paul in every thing you do. Your classes and teachings…
  • Michael Michalofsky on George Leaves…Great idea! And a living tribute to George Michael
  • Jhon Z Baker on My GoalsI love that you say 3 #4 planes are enough as I have four currently and am prepping one to sell! So, at least I'm on the right path -- No plug, I don't sell through myself and don'…
  • Christopher Johnston on George Leaves…I apprenticed back in the mid sixties . I think almost every apprentice if they were lucky had a "George" in their life . in my case it was an "Ian" he sounds very similar to your…
Scroll To Top