Stepping out of our own familiar comfort zone can be a challenge yet I have always encouraged everyone to do it so that they grown in pursuit of their passion. Well, I like my comfortable feeling with the things I am or have become familiar with, I hear. OK, this week it’s been Paul’s turn.

Whereas I try not to airbrush too many things in my life, having experts behind the camera and also in the edit suite can’t really do anything but make me look good can it? Great environment, with great people, very nice workshop and tools I have used  for over five decades six days a week. How comfortable can it get? But, well it’s not enough realness. I wanted something more inclusive and so I started short video clips I could put together about my life as a woodworkers and the the interests and feeling I have when i am alone out and about or in the workshop. Something current and up to date. Here is my first vlog. I do hope you will like me outside my comfort zone.

1. Randy Ewart on 21 September 2018 at 3:41 pm

Kudos Paul! I like it. For those of us a considerable distance from you, an opportunity to get to know better the whole Paul Sellers. All without a focus on the technology — though the technology makes it all a possibility. A literal, “Paul Unplugged ….”

2. Kirsty on 21 September 2018 at 4:02 pm

I really enjoyed this, and will certainly take time out of my week to watch this in future. I regularly find myself inspired by you, sometimes from watching your skill in woodworking and sometimes from the words that you say and write. Thank you and looking forward to the next vlog.

3. David on 21 September 2018 at 4:33 pm

A brilliant idea. Those of us who won’t have the privilege to meet you in person, now have a way to know you. Keep up the great work! May you be blessed with good health and a long life to continue to share not only your craft, but also your ideology as well.

4. Rick Wilson on 21 September 2018 at 4:40 pm

Thank you for allowing us to get to know you better. You give voice to much that I wish I could say and do, an inspiration and motivation to go forward, every day, in whatever way we can.

Thank you so much.

5. John2v on 21 September 2018 at 5:18 pm

Just found the “vlog” on my mobile phone…….absolutely brilliant idea Paul. After watching hours of your tuition it was really great to see you in a different light….well done.
    Mind you I think “George” would have kept to his flat cap, telling you “how do you roll that thing up and stuff it in yer jacket pocket boy”

6. Jarno on 21 September 2018 at 5:39 pm

It feels kinda funny that you are being a mentor for me that I have learned woodworking more from anyone and yet I have never seen you in person. This vlog was a great idea from you. I thank you for your teachings and keep hopefully learning as we go.

7. Glenn on 21 September 2018 at 6:02 pm

You certainly have way more to teach than woodworking. Nice job

8. Joe on 21 September 2018 at 6:10 pm

Thanks Paul. All of this (vlog, blog, replying to questions on Master Class episodes, etc) really helps to bridge the digitial gap of you being my primary woodworking teacher.

9. Phill on 21 September 2018 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for the tour of your daily life Paul. I hope it becomes a two-way street for you. A way to reach others on a personal level and a way for them to reach you. I know it’s hard to be a rock star sometimes. If you pull a couple of people off the modern assembly line, it’s all worth it. Thanks again.

10. Tom on 21 September 2018 at 7:08 pm

Now I have a better idea what a “country Lane” is!
    Here they might be called a bike path but they are relatively new.
    Couldn’t agree more with your taking moments out and enjoying what surrounds you, it’s about being connected. Surprising who you meet during the day and how interesting people can be once you get to know them a little bit.

11. Steve on 21 September 2018 at 7:17 pm

Love it. Keep them coming.

12. JulioT on 21 September 2018 at 7:49 pm

I’ve specially enjoyed the final part of the video, since the concept you talk about has been rounding my head from some years ago up to know. I sometimes wonder if you can imagine how you are affecting the life of some of us. It could sound exagerated, but I’m assure you that I focus some aspects of my life in a very different way since I found the first video from you, the one in wich you explain how to recover a wooden jack plane. I am learning a lot from you, not only in woodworking. People who have you near are very lucky. Thanks a lot for all you do, Paul.

13. Peter on 21 September 2018 at 10:24 pm

Very interesting.
    More, please!

14. nemo on 21 September 2018 at 10:57 pm

Enjoyable video. Enjoy growing tomatoes as well (though Phytophtera-disease is a recurring serious problem for me), peppers and paprikas. Beans, canning. Have a few blackberry bushes in the garden, love to make blackberry jam. And I make many more miles by bicycle than by car. Time seems to fly by when you cycle, one smells the grass and flowers (and, occasionally, experiences acorns falling on one’s head as happened this week; amazingly painful experience). Had a squirrel cross the road a few meters in front of me this morning. Made my day. The simpler things in life are very enjoyable, to me.

And so I’ve wondered before why people feel it’s necessary to step outside of their comfort zone and feel they must do things they don’t really want to. We all have strengths and weaknesses. It’s important to acknowledge and accept one’s weaknesses. For example, you seem to enjoy the company of people. I prefer the total absence of people, the rest and the quiet, as much as is possible in this world. “L’enfer, c’est les autres” (hell is other people), and has been to me from a very young age. It’s the reason that I am not on social media (your blog is the only exception) nor even have an e-mail address anymore, for the past six years (ironic, considering my long past with computers; I entered that world with CP/M and the Z80, and BBS-es on dial-in at 300/300 baud, to create a picture).

Do what you enjoy and refrain from doing what causes you stress or worry, and you’re halfway to a happy life, I think. And don’t pay too much attention to the opinions of other people. I know I’m certainly much happier now than in the past, before I really knew who I was, what I enjoyed and, particularly, what I disliked, and accepted my dislikes as being just an integral part of myself as my hobbies or other interests.

Just some thoughts that came to mind after viewing your vlog. Viewing it was, as just about anything you do or write, an enjoyable experience.

15. JIM on 22 September 2018 at 1:02 am

Paul, you need more audio. I had it all the way up on my end and had a difficult time hearing you.
    Other than that, thumbs up.

JIM

16. Daniel William on 22 September 2018 at 1:05 am

It is extremely generous of you to let us into your life and daily routine. Thank you for putting yourself out there.

17. Jeremy Tate on 22 September 2018 at 1:39 am

Thank you, Paul, for sharing. growing old gracefully, hard to do, I hope you keep your health.
    Regards from Australia.

18. Spencer on 22 September 2018 at 6:35 am

Once again, doing something new with your whole heart, pays dividends.

Love it! Keep it up!

19. Rich Oberg on 22 September 2018 at 11:45 am

Truly wonderful and uplifting. Please continue vloging.

20. Phil Vogt on 22 September 2018 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Paul, I feel inspired, especially by your closing words. Looking forward to the next one.

21. John S on 24 September 2018 at 1:39 pm

I laughed about getting the coffee break order. God forbid you got something wrong or even worse forgot something! I was an Apprentice getting coffee for 25 men some days. More stressful than working! Love the Vlog!

22. Mike Z. on 24 September 2018 at 8:04 pm

Loved it, loved it, loved it to take a quote from you Mr. Sellers! I have been really enjoying the blog posts about your apprenticeship and indeed you have been dropping hints about people like George for years, but it was also nice to see a bit more of your every day life now. I never knew of some of the water features, wildlife or views it creates where you are now? Keep up the good work on all fronts, you must be a very busy man and it makes me tired just thinking about all of that. Good luck and good health.

23. Brian Holmes on 25 September 2018 at 7:13 am

Thank-you, Paul. I enjoyed that subtle sustenance for the mind. It gave me pause to consider my own circumstances, which are reltively fortunate, and how I may put more into my life.

24. Ed on 25 September 2018 at 9:34 pm

Thank you for sharing more of your life outside of the workshop!

It is so inpirational to hear your words of wisdom and to see the physical ‘paths’ your daily life takes you on. Love seeing and hearing the sounds of nature you see and are willing and able to share, and the brief views of the old architecture. Please do include more of each!

Mmmm, love those fresh vine ripened garden tomatoes… 🙂

25. Ray Curtis on 27 September 2018 at 5:03 am

Thank you Paul for sharing so much of your life with us. I hope you know how much we appreciate it. You provide inspiration and guidance to many people, myself included.

26. jean-michel on 10 November 2018 at 1:01 pm

Hello, I find your site well done and extremely useful for a beginner as I. I would have wanted to know in what wood is made the grey cupboard which is behind you and where we can the plans? Thank you I appreciate(estimate) your approach of the joinery(joiner’s workshop) and your philosophy and still merci a lot (my english is very bad)

• Sylvain on Furniture For Your Home- funny to see your reflection in two window glasses on the second picture. - many women complain that men leaves too much life-management mental-strain on them. That comes from th…
  • Paul Sellers on It’s All in the JoineryI am always struck by how many people go to such great lengths to flatten the flat face of their plane irons when the lever cap presses the blade along the whole of the fore-edge t…
  • William Nenna on It’s All in the JoineryHonestly, I find your concerns on sharpening a thicker blade moot if handled differently. Doing a grind at whatever bevel angle you are using on the primary bevel down to just shor…
  • Garrett Swalwell on It’s All in the JoineryMy first dovetail box has gaps. Currently working on a commissioned coin box for a work friend.
  • Jim on Furniture For Your HomeJust imagine Paul, that with all of the skills that you have taught us if we lived during the middle ages we could be building cross bows for the kings army!
  • Steve P on Furniture For Your HomeThe cupboard under the stairs reminds me of where Harry Potter sleeps. I’m sure the grandkids will love that when they are a bit older. Can’t wait to see what ypu mean about the st…
  • John 2v on Furniture For Your HomeYour under stairs cupboard reminds me of a job I had for a customer wanting a toilet installed. I enlarged the door opening to 24" .....replaced all stair tread and riser wedges ..…