It’s hard to believe that I have now done 17 vlogs. I enjoy filming these so I want to keep doing them and hope that you enjoy them too.

I like being able to dip in and out of my world and work with you. Take you on at least a little of my journey through the day to day. So many things have changed of late for most people and I am included in this in the reality that my connection face to face with others is almost non existent.

So enjoy this brief glimpse starting a little over a month ago to a week or so past.

To catch up with my other vlogs, click here.

1. Ron Geer on 14 May 2020 at 12:41 pm

These reflective moments are heartwarming. Thank you, Paul.

2. Richard Harnedy on 14 May 2020 at 7:00 pm

Dear paul.

Your recommendation on the gauge is much appreciated. Great that you gave it your blesssing. At 20 euro it is definetly worth a try.

Rh

3. Nuno Mendes on 14 May 2020 at 7:49 pm

Hi, Paul.
    I bought a marking gauge similar to that from amazon, several years ago. It’s my main gauge.
    It also came with one point smaller than the other. I filed the taller with diamond stones, and it’s a tool for life, like you say.

Cheers from Portugal,
    Nuno

4. YrHenSaer on 15 May 2020 at 11:02 am

That looks an excellent marking gauge.

If the manufacturer is a firm called ‘Mujingfang’, then they have a very good (with me) record.

Some years ago I had the opportunity to buy three of their ‘Hong Kong’ pattern planes. The term meant nothing to me, but I took a punt and what turned up were three wooden planes in graduating sizes, the timber of which looked the same as your gauge.

They have a very narrow mouth, bounded on the front with a brass strip. Whilst the steel in the blade is not the hardest I’ve seen, it does hone well and holds its edge well. It sets firmly to produce an extremely fine shaving with some careful setting.

Why would I grab these little planes in a fire?

They are all bedded at 60 degrees – half-pitch.
    In use I have found these planes to skim obstinate, wavy grain with a keen, smooth action; behaving in a way like a good scraper – that’s why I like them.
    Brilliant on awkward wood and half pitch is an unusual bed-angle.

5. Howard Bigham on 18 May 2020 at 2:47 pm

Thank you Paul…from Woodstock, Ontario Canada…Strangely, I had never even heard of a montjac before. I appreciate all you do and particularly the gentle but disciplined manner you have both in the shop and in all of life. Based on your video on sharpening saws I have had a go at it with reasonable success. Its actually kind of fun. “Shop” classes and the understanding and skill it passed on was considered part of a proper education in Ontario when I was in school but hasn’t been for quite a while now. Your video instruction and book, Essential Woodworking Hand Tools, are delightful and for the curious is helping to fill that gap. The problem is that there is now a generation or so that is unaware of what they don’t know with regard to practical making and repair. Blessing to you and your family.

6. Tony Barry on 19 May 2020 at 6:48 am

Paul your comment about the brass outstand (at 2:55). The picture on lazada.com.my shows this very clearly, so I can only assume it is intentional.

7. Nathan F Jones on 20 May 2020 at 1:08 pm

Time spent in nature is food for
    the soul. Best wishes everyone.

8. Peter deL on 28 May 2020 at 4:23 am

Hi Paul, Thanks for the thoughts in the vlog. Your reflections on life are always refreshing.
    I bought one of those marking/mortise gauges a couple of months ago after my old one lost a pin. Like yours, it needed a slight fettling – on mine the block was rather a loose fit on the shaft, so that even when the screw was tight the block tended to rotate slightly in use. I glued a thin shim of hard wood on each side of the hole, then pared them to give a snug fit, and now it works well. I’m glad I bought it before your vlog – the cost will probably rise now!
    Keep well.

• Clarence Zimmerman on A Few Years AgoThank you! My son, 34 years of age passed away 2 years ago this month. As a boy, he spent time with me in the shop as I built his bedroom furniture, etc.. aspiring to leave him mem…
  • Mike Z. on A Future PastGreat stories and pictures to boot! I think part of why your teaching methods work so well is the time you spent on both sides of the Atlantic ocean - not an easy chasm to straddle…
  • Alain Briot on A Few Years AgoWho is Joseph? Your son? Thank you for the nice story.
  • Dave R on A Few Years AgoI also would love to see this toolchest as a project on WWMC.
  • Nick Jones on A Few Years AgoWhat a lovely story. Time with our kids is the most precious, rewarding and important time of our lives. Wonderful.
  • Noel Rodrigue on My Latest Giveaway is now OPEN!Now on to 500,000 subscribers! Anybody taking bets on how long it'll take to get there? Three months? Anyone else?
  • Paul Dallender on A Future PastAs always an interesting and insperational blog. I know you have a special place in your heart for America/Texas, after all, it had a massive affect on your life. But... without wi…