A Historical Perspective Video on the Scrub Plane

DSC_0001I thought it might help to see a little background to the Stanley development of their scrub plane and so we put together a short video to see the comparison. I am using adapted versions of the old and new roughing planes to show that they both work very well and cost almost nothing as secondhand tools for prepping your wood.

You can dedicate a rough old Stanley or an old wooden block plane of you have one and you will find them very handy for taking off the highs and levelling your work in readiness for finer plane work.  Here is the link .

You can of course also buy a modern version of the scrub plane too or a secondhand one.

1. David Devereux on 7 August 2014 at 11:43 am

Thank you Paul. Very illuminating. Since you introduced this idea to me and I made a scrub plane from and old wooden plane that had been sitting on a shelf for years, I haven’t used the electric plane that I never should have bought in the first place

2. Thomas Tieffenbacher/akadocSavage45 on 7 August 2014 at 7:03 pm

Watched the video on my smart TV with dinner. Can’t like on that though. You make it look sooooo easy. LOL! Gives me more perspective on what one can do with a plane blade. Saw one at a resale shop and picked it up. When my necessary tasks get done. Might try playing with a blade to see how I can screw it up? LOL!

3. John Taylor on 8 August 2014 at 12:30 am

I have said before you could sell your sketches especially when showing your hands

• Paul Sellers on 8 August 2014 at 7:34 pm

Perhaps a calendar? Someone suggested this a few weeks ago.

4. John Taylor on 8 August 2014 at 12:38 am

Paul this is not the correct place to post this question but could not post on “contact me”. Can you please explain difference between a curved and straight draw knife.

Plus a tall order……………..could you please show how to hold and place a spoke shave for best effect.

Thanks John

5. Cliff Williams on 9 August 2014 at 12:26 pm

What great information – and a history lesson with regard to the ‘scrub plane’. It’s one of those tools that I have not heard mentioned by other woodworkers before. So a big thanks Paul for the video and all the relevant information.

You are a person who teaches as it is and to me that means a lot. My apprenticeship was as a motor mechanic (35 years ago) unfortunately I chose the wrong trade.

Best regards,