It is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas and I try to have a simple Christmas project that isn’t too complex to make, is inexpensive and doesn’t tie up too much time. In making these you make four (or more) at once so I think making them hits the mark for me. I wanted something new, unseen and novel so here they are in full colour pine.. Use different woods for contrast, add snow and glitter and let me see the results.

1. Alexander on 13 December 2017 at 3:47 pm

Merry Christmas Mr Sellers

2. Giles on 13 December 2017 at 5:36 pm

Nice idea, thanks.

3. Frederick Hantz on 13 December 2017 at 5:55 pm

Beautiful! Merry Christmas! What are the dimensions of the piece your working with?

• Clark Douglas on 15 December 2017 at 11:40 pm

3/4x 1 1/2x 2 1/2 pine

4. natxo sainz de aja on 13 December 2017 at 6:01 pm

Merry Christmas to you ,the team, and your family. All the best for 2018.
    Natxo

5. Spencer Gaskins on 13 December 2017 at 7:52 pm

The kids and I have loved walking through the Christmas toys and ornaments from this year and past years, and these trees are a favorite! Painting decorations on them has been an added joy for their own merriment. I’ll get some pictures later, and post.

Oh… and as an aside, my kids (8 and 6) were making spinners yesterday (They love them and using the spokeshaves…). Afterwards, my wife asked our 8 year-old if he wanted some Legos for Christmas. While this has been a perennial favorite, his response was “No thanks. Legos are for little kids. I build with wood and real tools, now…” My heart grew a bit bigger.

• Robert Ivanov on 14 December 2017 at 8:12 pm

That is such a great story

• Tim Santolini on 17 December 2017 at 10:12 pm

MY heart grew bigger reading your post.

6. Rafi on 14 December 2017 at 2:09 am

¡Feliz Navidad de Puerto Rico, Mr. Sellers! All the best to you and yours.

7. Joel Cress on 14 December 2017 at 2:55 pm

Perfect beauty in simplicity. Thank you, Mr. Sellers. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

8. Greg on 14 December 2017 at 4:55 pm

This simple ornament and video brought me much joy at just the right time. God bless you, Paul. A very merry Christmas to you, your family, the team at Woodworking Masterclasses, and to woodworkers of all faiths and nationalities!

9. John on 14 December 2017 at 8:23 pm

Have a great Christmas and I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us in 2018

10. Daniel on 15 December 2017 at 12:34 pm

Perfect! Something to do with the kids in the garage before Christmas!

11. THOMAS LEWIS on 15 December 2017 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for this–and for all the pleasure and good sense you have brought to me and everyone else over the years.

12. Donald Kreher on 15 December 2017 at 4:42 pm

I have tried this 3 times now. How do you keep the curly bits from falling off? Otherwise it’s quite enjoyable.

13. Andrea Kirkby on 15 December 2017 at 9:35 pm

What a sweet video. It brought a smile to my face. Merry Christmas to you!

14. Peter b on 16 December 2017 at 11:14 am

look forward to your blog every week Paul, your a true inspiration .
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

15. Richard Ennis on 16 December 2017 at 4:11 pm

This simple project teaches more than I expected. I wondered why you used a backsaw to lay out the tree, but I discovered that the backsaw has an automatic depth stop built in when sawing down between the trees. My first cuts looked perfect from my side but were not straight on the side I could not see. So check the back side after every 3rd or 4th stroke to be sure you are straight. Mine failed because I used a rather brittle hard wood so the little “branches “ were too fragile. So I will try again with pine. Thanks for this really cool project Paul.

• Paul Sellers on 17 December 2017 at 10:23 am

You might notice also that I gave the main tree its shape after sawing. That way the out cut didn’t fracture the wood and weaken it for the chisel work.

16. Collin G on 18 December 2017 at 1:15 am

Made three of these for the church group gift exchange.
    My trees went home with a couple celebrating their first Christmas together, and they were ecstatic about having hand made ornaments for their tree.

I am so happy I took the time to try these instead of going out and buying something.

17. Lawrence on 19 December 2017 at 12:55 pm

What a wonderful way to celebrate the birth of the most famous carpenter of all time 🙂

18. George on 22 December 2017 at 2:35 am

Very fun to make. Happy Christmas to you and your family!!

• Roger Browning on Cherry Is a JourneyThanks Paul! Ironically, I retired from the Georgia Forestry Commission. Yes our plantation planted pines do supply forest industry, however it's the hardwoods that are the gold. T…
  • Paul Sellers on Cherry Is a JourneyThen might you consider going outside of Georgia, USA. Go online, find a supplier. If I can buy beautiful Americsan black cherry right here as imported wood in the UK then you can…
  • Paul Sellers on Working Wood 1&2 AvailabilityThat's so kind, Kevin. Replicating what I have had as a lifestyle for most of my work-life does not mean giving up a paying job that supported in a different era but encourages peo…
  • Kevin Drevik on Working Wood 1&2 AvailabilityI wanted to purchase this both for its content and to help you fund the site. I really appreciate the videos and other information you've been giving away for free here. Thank you…
  • Roger Browning on Cherry Is a JourneyHere in middle Georgia,USA wood species other than pine is scarce. 3 fold that when searching for seasoned anything other than pine. Then when you get your hands on a piece of wood…
  • Paul Sellers on Working Wood 1&2 AvailabilityHard to say. I can say that they are two totally different animals if that helps, Stuart. One is a foundation course for traditional hand tool woodworking, and detailing how to mak…
  • Stuart on Working Wood 1&2 AvailabilityAlthough it will be bettered later this year, I might be interested in purchasing this older book. However, I would like to know how much overlap, if any, there is with your other…