The Q&A on the spokeshave results from almost a hundred questions you sent in and it’s just up on YouTube now. I’m really hoping that our efforts will answer many of the common and not so common questions you sent in. I hope to that as a result you will never consider this tool an archaic remnant with no real value to the modern world of woodworking. No CNC equipment will replace its versatility and functionality and you too can become a master of it in just a few hours of practice. I cannot imagine life without it. It is truly a punchy little Haflinger of a workhorse.

1. Keith on 8 May 2019 at 4:21 pm

Cheers Paul
    Really useful

2. Steve on 8 May 2019 at 6:01 pm

Hey Paul. thanks for this, this is great. I have an old record curved bottom spokeshave that I bought 30 years ago. I didn’t know exactly what to buy at the time but I figured curved made sense since I was going to make curved table legs. Now that I am trying to build up my hand tool kit I would like to either get a flat bottom spokeshave or modify this old curved bottom like you did in this video. COuld you please give more detailed instruction on how to modify? I like to have a minimal tool kit where possible. Or maybe you could make a Common Woodworking guide on this modification?

3. John2v on 8 May 2019 at 6:27 pm

Hi Paul….thank you

When you sent out your questionnaire on the spoke shave some weeks ago……I asked “how I could control a round bottom and get fine shavings …without chatter” on a, say, 4″ radius …..not sure if you covered that?.or if you did perhaps I missed it

I have just sold 7 wooden type on eBay…..although I sharpened as you suggest….I just could not get on with them, for various reasons.

Thanks John
    I will keep to my Stanley flat and round sole.

4. Al Russell on 9 May 2019 at 12:47 pm

Great video very helpful Thanks

5. Guido on 9 May 2019 at 4:30 pm

Thank you Paul!

For me the spokeshave is the hardest tool to demistify and this video did just that. Could not really find this elsewhere. Every question was valuable for that! Think I finally understand how to tilt and use my wooden spokeshave now. And I am glad you shared the bit at the end about fiddling with the Stanley to get it ready. Great video!

6. Jerry Stark on 11 May 2019 at 2:09 pm

Excellent and useful Q & A session. Thanks!

7. Bill on 13 May 2019 at 8:20 pm

Funnily enough when I was at school and in woodwork class our teacher, Mr Pook, was keen on spokeshaves. I guess small boy cannot do a lot of damage to the wood or themselves with a spokeshave. I have struggled with mine, maybe I have the blade in wrong even.

• Bill on 15 May 2019 at 1:02 pm

Checked it out, blade upside down, now sharpened it cuts beautifully. Maybe I’ll leave it handy as it can do the odd little trim or shaping job a block plane would be used.

8. Jamie Edgar on 18 May 2019 at 12:11 am

Thanks again Paul. What would be really nice would be a video or blog post about making new bodies to fit irons fron old cream crackered wooden spokeshaves. I’ve got loads of them and it seams such a waste of that good steel. Main difficulty in my mind is making the holes for the tangs a good fit.

9. Simon Wray on 20 May 2019 at 12:39 am

Excellent information as always. Thanks Paul.

• Mike Kuhn on Diminishing Craft ValueMy dad started his woodworking career as a cabinetmaking apprentice in 1945 or ‘46, at an architectural millwork shop. His leadership skills quickly moved him to a supervisor and s…
  • Graham Ward on Autism Support in WoodworkingWell done! It takes a very patient person to take on a task like this. Wish you were in Canada so our autistic children could take part.
  • Paul Sellers on Diminishing Craft ValuePersonally things were simpler back then, in spite of some fathers being around in some cases. I don't think at all that young people are not willing to have a go but `i do think t…
  • Ben Tyreman on Autism Support in Woodworkingthis is amazing thing you are doing Paul, I have always liked autists and often find they are brilliant people, we should never be too quick to judge them.
  • tayler whitehead on Diminishing Craft Valuei find the discussion around the youth of today and their practical skills interesting. i read in the aa magazine last year (here in nz) that over half of todays young drivers cann…
  • Dean Eric Peterson on Following the DreamJust a note of thanks for the work you do and the way you present it. Keep up the great work - it makes a difference!!
  • Keith on Diminishing Craft ValueA few years ago, I found myself transported back to 7th and 8th grade math class and refreshed my memory and added to it by studying "straightedge and compass" geometry. I find mys…