I found two plasterboard pallets (USA sheetrock) set aside and discarded. They were strong, heavily built from solid stock, in good condition. I retyurned with my trailer thinking they would make the roof and floor for my stud framer shed. I bought the studs and then used them for other things. A sandbox came as a prototype and then second one for my videoing build to show others how in the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, things like that.

Three weeks ago I found five more. I took these too and changed my plans for the combo greenhouse shed I had thought to build. First I had a part of tiled slab area where my new vegetable boxes are stationed. It’s against my fence and not a good spot for growing because of the arc of the sun’s path. I took the pallets sized them without any dismantling and they were absolutely immoveable. Cutting some to length gave me exactness to the space I had.

The walls were up in an hour, just in time for my granddaughter to come over and play in the sandbox with me. We played for an hour and then kicked the football around. She found the frame of the shed fascinating because it looked like something you had in the kid’s park to climb and swing from. Bit splintery to let her, but we walked around it and she played go hide until I found her.

These big awkward pallets often stay outside the skips until last because they stop waste from going in. I asked for them and they were glad to let them go with me. I love my little trailer for things like this. I can load up and be on my way in a few minutes and it is so stable too. The other five came in two lots of two and three. Outside a builders, these pallets lay abandoned and awaiting retrieval by the waste management company. I was very happy to get the superstructure for free but all the more for the speed with which my shed would actually come together.

Last week I put up the roof panels and this weekend I applied the fibreglass underfelt ready for the roofing next weekend. I have a little infil to go in but the cladding is treated wood and I ordered that to come next Friday when i will indeed finish the tool shed. It was fun and when I build the greenhouse it will be from wood I buy. I am planning the greenhouse to come from studs and will customise the sections to receive polycarbon panels for lightweight and safety. But it will look lovely when done as will this new shed.

1. Bobbie Eiler on 26 July 2020 at 1:02 pm

Paul, you are an amazing man!
    I love seeing all your projects.

• Paul Sellers on 26 July 2020 at 3:33 pm

Hello Bobbie. Thanks and stay well. If I get by your neck of the woods I’ll look you up. It would be nice to catch up with you.

2. Stephen McGonigle on 26 July 2020 at 2:15 pm

Honest to goodness recycling, there’s little that’s more satisfying. Have you enough to clad the walls, and are you going to insulate it? Please keep us updated on this project, in it’s own way it’s as fascinating as making fine furniture.

3. Wayne Whalen on 26 July 2020 at 8:54 pm

Paul, did you make a video of yourself playing in the sand box? That i would have loved to have seen. 😃

4. Joel Carlson on 26 July 2020 at 10:02 pm

Knife walls? I don’t see any knife walls!

• Steve P on 27 July 2020 at 1:17 am

It would be funny if Paul hung some knives up on the walls of the ahed and called them knife walls.

5. Art Coates on 26 July 2020 at 10:19 pm

My brother, local kids and I built a fort out of similar pallets when we were little. I had all but forgotten about it until I saw this. Thanks!

6. Donald L Kreher on 27 July 2020 at 12:03 pm

I would be interested in seeing how you assembled the pallets into a shed. Would it be possible to make say a 8 by 12 shed out of 4 foot square pallets? How would they be joined?

7. CAPT Gary Andres USN ret on 27 July 2020 at 4:05 pm

Even the Good Lord takes a day off! Do you ever? I always enjoy reading about how you bring your vision to life! Thank you, sir, again, for making me smile!

8. Mart on 27 July 2020 at 4:38 pm

No Paul never stops. He is so driven. Its a wonder he wasn’t a character in the marvel comics. Now what would he be called? WonderWoody?…..

9. Rico on 27 July 2020 at 6:03 pm

I wish I could find pallets like that! Although I don’t have a trailer, which doesn’t help. I was trying to find half decent pallets for a compost bin(s), but I just couldn’t find any that weren’t poor quality. Anyway, went on to Gumtree and found all the materials locally (tanalised timber and some fence posts) for £40, which was great value and took them off someone’s hands too. Well on the way to making some usable soil – hopefully. It’s definitely somewhere to put my wood shavings and grass anyway, next year will tell if it has worked.

10. Scott Robinett on 27 July 2020 at 6:25 pm

Bravo, love it.

11. BackYardJackOfAllTrades on 27 July 2020 at 6:49 pm

Great build Paul, did you make the cement pavers? I’m in the process of making pavers similar to yours and before I start I would like to see your process.

12. John on 27 July 2020 at 6:50 pm

I am building a cold frame, hand tools only, that is to have polycarbonate panels for the windows, so I’d love to see a post on your design for installing those on your greenhouse.

13. Nick R on 27 July 2020 at 8:04 pm

Years ago pallet wood was like fools gold. They were made with “construction oak” and the young guys would think; “Oh, look. Free wood,” till it bent every nail you drove into it and dulled all your saw blades

14. Philip Allard on 27 July 2020 at 8:59 pm

Paul, your structure has a soul of thrift.

15. Jim Staton on 27 July 2020 at 10:35 pm

I wish I could find pallets made of good wood. In my part of the US all I find is junk. either too thin, too twisted or too something else. If nothing else it’s treated with toxins.

16. Andrew on 28 July 2020 at 11:42 am

Excellent. I loved the recycling and the fast-erect prefabricated sections idea. Plenty of room for insulation, if required. I bought those small scale gutters for my new shed. Waste of money. I’m now far happier with full-sized house gutters. They are not obtrusive. If you do fit gutters, I have long, good experience of the mesh guards to keep leaves out. I see you have plenty of leaves nearby. Leaves fall on the mesh, dry in the wind and sun, curl up and blow off. I collect the water for our veg. My granddaughter loves hide and seek, but it’s difficult to pretend I don’t know where she is.

17. Nathan Jones on 28 July 2020 at 1:58 pm

Looks tops Paul!

18. Shweta on 28 July 2020 at 4:22 pm

Mr. Sellers,
    You should know that you qualify as my therapist. I come to your youtube channel to not just learn woodworking but to just hear you talk about life/work etc. It always calms me down.

I design handmade textiles for a living. They are hand-dyed and handloomed and are essentially made the most old-fashioned way possible. Your philosophy in life matches mine but I definitely have a long way to go.

It realized that I have never thanked you properly even though I have watched your videos for last 2 years. Is it possible to send you a gift in mail to express my gratitude?

Warmly,
    Shweta (USA)

19. Robert on 28 July 2020 at 4:51 pm

Hi Paul,
    Can we see that Greenhouse soon please

20. Samuel on 30 July 2020 at 3:05 am

Ah, so the bottom pallet is uncut, the top is a ripped short side on its side.
    A lot of skew nails for roof?

21. Tom on 1 August 2020 at 5:14 am

You have inspired me to have a towbar fitted to my car. Been putting if off for some time.

22. Gerald Etto on 2 August 2020 at 3:56 am

Love to see your videos still going strong despite all the COVID hassles!