Retrofit Your Vise and Bench With Dogs Video Up

To show I like dogs we made a video to show how you can retrofit your existing non-dogging vise with a simple addition.

On the benchtop we added some spring loaded additions that provide the opposing dogs for holding your workpiece securely for planing and scraping. The system works really well if you like benchtop dogging. Hope you enjoy it.

1. David Devereux on 11 July 2014 at 8:23 pm

Excellent, Paul. I have recently purchased an Axminster vice to attach to my workbench, which I would thoroughly recommend by the way, which has a metal, moveable dog built in. I have drilled some holes in my bench and used some old Workmate plastic dogs to hold work, but your homemade dogs look much better and I will be making some.

2. Damien on 11 July 2014 at 11:44 pm

As always Paul and next one video well executed. One thing I would add as a recommendation is that you space the dog holes no further apart then the distance equal to the travel of your vice minus 1/2 an inch or so. This ensures that you’re able to handle boards of any links up to the furthest hole and the maximum extension of your vice without any gaps or need for wedges.

3. davidos on 11 July 2014 at 11:52 pm

brilliant .i love them .simple and straightforward .i just cant seem to find the sweeping brush anywhere .

4. Steve Massie on 12 July 2014 at 5:13 pm

Just finished watching this video, great job and thanks for sharing how you make your dogs. I built your bench but have not installed an end vise.

Steve

5. Thomas Tieffenbacher/akadocSavage45 on 12 July 2014 at 5:17 pm

You have fast become one of my favorite mentors. I discovered you while looking for a workbench build. I have enjoyed your perspective on hand planes as I have won the bidding on Ebay re: some old planes that I am rehabbing.

Friday night I was reviewing my watch list on my big screen smart with my evening meal and you had posted this great practical video on making a plain top bench into a modified bench dog bench!

Wow! Thanks! Simple, elegant and just what I needed, as I am repurposing a section of a three part bench for hybrid woodworking. ( hand tools and power tools ). Your bench dogs are elegant, simple, and functional. Love how you make it look so easy. LOL!

6. Thomas Tieffenbacher/akadocSavage45 on 12 July 2014 at 5:27 pm

You have fast become one of my favorite mentors. Making a hybrid woodworking bench from one section of my present shop bench. Soon to attach my Jorgenson vise , and thinking about the best place to install as well as putting in bench dog hold downs.

Your video was exactly what I needed. Simple straght forward, practical and elegant.

7. Thomas Tieffenbacher/akadocSavage45 on 12 July 2014 at 7:54 pm

Double comment was due to problems with my internet

8. Jon on 12 July 2014 at 8:06 pm

Very elegant solution to a common problem.

I also find it amusing that the next time certain people search for dogging they’ll be directed to a joinery site.

9. John Taylor on 22 July 2014 at 8:56 pm

How lucky am I bought Record 52.5 quick release vice. Little rusty but now looks superb

Also same size Paramo vice …….both 10″ jaws x 300 opening ….paramo not used AND has a dog all for…………..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,99p!!!!

• Paul Sellers on 22 July 2014 at 9:11 pm

Wow! How AMAZING is that.

10. John Taylor on 22 July 2014 at 10:30 pm

Only down side is I had to travel 10 miles to pick them up!!!!!……..good old eBay

11. John Taylor on 22 July 2014 at 10:51 pm

Paul I could mount these two vices on the front of my 2.4M bench but as I have a 3 drawer unit either end the centres of them would be 32″ as between the drawer unit is 42″ (each vice 10″ jaws). My existing record 52A -7″ jaws could go on the end with a dog modification. Do you think the two front would work at 32″ centres??? Thanks John

• Paul Sellers on 22 July 2014 at 11:17 pm

I would install one vise only off to the left if you are right hand dominant. Work with that for a few weeks. A second vise will be unnecessary at best and always in the way. Work with it for a month or so and see how it feels.

• John Taylor on 24 July 2014 at 12:34 pm

Thank you Paul for taking the time to advise me. With you as my tutor I feel that my jigsaw of experience is only just starting to fall in place, as an apprentice I am doing as I’m told and REALLY enjoying myself

Regards John

12. DaveBulow on 24 July 2014 at 11:13 am

Once again, many thanks for an excellent instructional video. I was wondering how to do this, and will one day add this to my bench. A really brilliant design, and I love the use of the coat hanger wire and broom handle. Genius!

However, I have a rather perplexing question. How do you now manage to sweep the floor, and where to you hang your coat? 😉

Best regards
    Dave

13. John Taylor on 24 July 2014 at 11:27 am

Hi Dave just picked up your post re dogs and coat hangers, lucky for me just thrown two in the bin……..now on bench

14. Bondi MacFarlane on 15 August 2014 at 10:59 pm

Hi Paul,
    Could you please explain why the top of the dogs is slightly undercut rather than straight?
    Won’t that make a dent in the stock?

thanks

• Paul Sellers on 16 August 2014 at 5:36 am

No it doesn’t indent but the wood under pressure flexes to give a more full faced pressure rather than just the bottom corner. Much better than metal digs.

• Bondi MacFarlane on 16 August 2014 at 11:12 pm