Skip to content

After 30 yrs away Paul Sellers returns to England

We left our home in readiness to migrate to the USA in spring of 1987. We bought a travel trailer and a good sized sherpa van, sold off all we owned and toured England for 32 weeks. By then our visas came through and we picked up our papers from the US Embassy in London. Then the next day we loaded 13 suitcases onto a train for Heathrow airport; my wife, Liz and three boys and myself. We didn’t have much but the adventure began then and continues now. The bit in between was often wild and exciting. This past weekend I returned to live in my native country for the first time in almost 30 years. We lived and worked in the US for 23 years and then in Wales to date. We have had two more boys since then who were born in the USA. DSC_0612

Moving back to England and preparing myself for this move has been something of an emotional time for me. I never left the UK because I didn’t like it at all. On the contrary, I loved it, but the world has changed me as indeed it is supposed to. The journey home has been a long time coming and my life is all the richer from sharing so many years with so many of you. DSC_0584My new garage measures 12 feet by 20 feet with an 8 foot height. Here I will soon be assembling my home workshop to work in. I am looking forward to this as I am building yet another workbench to work from. I will no doubt keep you posted.

The house is already feeling like home now we have our furniture in place. Joseph and Kat came in and helped unpack the million boxes and Phil and Hannah came over to help too.  This is the new kitchen now fully loaded and ready for working.DSC_0586

Once the kitchen is good to go it seems all else just slides into place. I will feel better when my garage is a shop too. Currently I am in transit to gather some of my tools that I left until the house was set up right. The school and my full studio workshop will come together over the next few weeks starting in two weeks or so. meanwhile I will rest some more, walk along the Thames river and learn about some of the new wildlife here. I am going to miss my time down by the sea and the estuary and of course the woods I came to know like the back of my hand.

DSC_0610

It is an exciting time when you see kites in such plenty. Never despise the day of small things my friends. This is indeed a big thing that will be unfolding. DSC_0581

1. Chris Bunney on 20 January 2016 at 9:39 pm

Wishing you much joy in your new home! Welcome back to England!
    I look forward to more videos from a new venue. 🙂

2. Dave on 20 January 2016 at 9:43 pm

Paul, Congratulations on your new move. When you build your bench and your shop would it be possible to share some of your insights and design decisions on what, how, and why you set up your workspace as you do? Also, might you detail how you mount the drawer in the center of the apron? Is it a box enclosure or a hanging set of guides?
    Thank you for all you do and wishing you a prosperous new year in England.

3. Evan Tishuk on 20 January 2016 at 9:44 pm

I know how emotionally taxing a move can be. Made worse when you don’t have a shop set up yet! Enjoy settling into the new home and please don’t feel obligated to churn out new content for our sake.

4. Eddy flynn on 20 January 2016 at 9:56 pm

welcome home, congratulations the house and garage look fantastic great to see joseph keeping an eye on things, looking forward to seeing your home workshop coming together after your well earned rest of course.

5. Gordon on 20 January 2016 at 10:01 pm

Paul – there’s some great walking in the Oxfordshire area; from the colleges, to the Thames area in Abingdon, to Burford. Farmoor Reservoir is worth a look too.

Out of interest, roughly where is the new school going to be (north/south/east/west of Oxford)?

• Paul Sellers on 20 January 2016 at 10:09 pm

We are still working on the details but most likely south of Oxford, hence our choosing Abingdon for a home town.

• Gordon on 20 January 2016 at 11:47 pm

Ah. I’d assumed you were going to be in Oxford. From a purely selfish point of view that’s even better; I’m about 8 miles to the south!

Totally off topic (to the point that I won’t pollute your blog entry with details here) but if you’re after good pub and/or restaurant recommendations I’d be happy to give you some details.

6. handmadeuniqueclocks on 20 January 2016 at 10:20 pm

The house looks very nice Paul and mansion like which begs me to ask is it a house or a town house. I ask because the front door isn’t situated in the middle but off to the right.

7. Scott from N.J. on 20 January 2016 at 10:28 pm

Best of luck to you and the family. You’ve come a long way. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us with the new studio. The house looks awesome. Enjoy it.

8. Tom on 20 January 2016 at 10:37 pm

Best wishes to you and your family Paul with your relocation. Life is truly a blessed adventure.

9. Pat Walls on 20 January 2016 at 10:41 pm

Paul;
    Such a loss for the United States but I have always felt that at some time a person is meant to return home and you have returned home. I say take some time, slow down just a little and walk along the Thames, say hello to the young folks with a smile and a wave of the hand. There really is no place like home, so love, live and enjoy. God bless.
    Pat Walls

10. Dan Anderson on 20 January 2016 at 10:56 pm

Can’t wait to see what you do with that garage space. Mine is almost exactly the same size. Unfortunately I “went in another direction” before I found Paul Sellers Real Woodworking.

We live, we learn.

11. Jeff Jump on 20 January 2016 at 11:10 pm

Congrats Paul on the start of a new chapter in your life. I’ll be looking forward to seeing how you configure your home shop.

12. Robert Flowers on 21 January 2016 at 12:30 am

Hope you do some blog post on the garage /shop, would love to see how you set up your shop.

13. Randy on 21 January 2016 at 1:41 am

Wait a minute here. Did I miss something in the blog? Here’s what I’m getting, you were born and raised in England, then you moved to the United States. The blog makes it sound like you’ve been in U.S. up until now, but that can’t be right because you’ve been in Wales for a while. There’s a bit of the story missing, the part where you moved from the U.S. to Wales. Is that right? Anyway, I hope the new location works well for you and your family.

• delord on 21 January 2016 at 8:21 am

It’s funny. It takes me a while, too, to realize that for an Englishman Wales is a foreign country as US or France are!
      Anyway, the sound of the Jack plane is the same anywhere you are. All the best for your new life, Paul.

14. James on 21 January 2016 at 2:09 am

Best wishes Paul. As Robert Browning would say(perhaps a bit earlier than April)

O, To be in England
    Now that April ‘s there,
    And whoever wakes in England
    Sees, some morning, unaware,
    That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
    Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
    While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
    In England—now!

15. John Hinton on 21 January 2016 at 4:42 am

Thanks for sharing with us Paul, the house and shop look really nice. It looks like it’s snowing and raining there. Wishing y’all the best in 2016 am looking forward to your next post!

16. Giorgio B. on 21 January 2016 at 7:46 am

Nice coincidence … Abingdon for decades is twinned with Lucca (Italy) the city where I was born and raised and where my family still resides …
    I hope you are right there!!

17. simsybloke on 21 January 2016 at 4:48 pm

Congratulation on what seems to be a successful move, and good luck, to you all, with everything in the coming weeks.
    I’ve just spent 4 days moving stuff out of my living room, just to decorate. Actually packing everything up to move house, as you’ve just done is something I daren’t contemplate. Well done!

Regards,

Matt Sims

18. Carlos J. Collazo on 21 January 2016 at 4:55 pm

It all sounds exiciting! Was wondering if the new bench you plan to build might be a more-quickly buildable variation of the Youtube one. Something like a 10-hour build duration one for beginning artisans just starting out. If memory serves, you had mentioned something along these lines.

19. Dave Crane on 21 January 2016 at 8:42 pm

Congrats, and good luck with your new surroundings. We really enjoyed seeing you at the castle and dining with you and the lovely Liz.
    Incidentally your video on gluing up the tool cabinet almost gave me a nervous break down.
    Best regards, Barb and Dave Crane

20. Dan Walker on 21 January 2016 at 9:57 pm

So happy for you Paul! I will probably kick myself forever, though, for not getting my act together in time to attend your course while you were still at the castle.

21. Rex Wenger on 21 January 2016 at 10:16 pm

Best wishes for your transition into your new home and a new shop.

22. Hank Merkle on 22 January 2016 at 3:17 am

So, does THIS convince the critics that you CAN make and HAVE a GREAT living as a woodworking artist?
    Congratulations on the move – I wish you could have come to the states again, but home is home.
    Thank you for all you do for us, we REALLY appreciate it.

23. Aaron Robarge on 22 January 2016 at 1:23 pm

Paul –

Congratulations. I’ve followed your blog for just over a year now, completed my bench in a 10′ x 8′ basement with 6’2″ ceilings this past fall and have loved every minute of my woodworking thanks to you. More importantly, I find it inspiring to read about the things going on with you and your family and I wish you all the best in your woodworking and in life. Good luck with the move and in starting a new chapter for yourself.

Thank you!

24. Steve on 22 January 2016 at 8:19 pm

Hi Paul, If you’ve moved to Abingdon then I’d like to point you in the direction of the Wood Centre just south of Abingdon, this is a small charity that is trying to promote a wood culture in Britain and has just built a new Centre. They are providing workspaces to fledgling and established woodworking businesses and are probably a cause that you would be very interested in. Their website is http://sylva.org.uk/wood and I think they still have workspace to rent. They are also looking to promote the use of British timber from our woodlands, something that I think is fantastic to promote.

If you’re looking for a timber merchants in Abingdon, Adhectic on the Radley road industrial estate aren’t too bad and Deep in Wood just outside Abingdon supply locally sourced timber.

25. Gavin Proctor on 22 January 2016 at 9:39 pm

I forgot for nearly 8 months to contact my local Forestry office and change get a new scavenging license last time I moved. This is a great time of year for getting lovely blanks from all the wind-fallen trees that haven’t survived the bad weather. The old forests in Oxfordshire are magical, coming from the quite barren windswept west coast of Scotland I’m often in awe of English Forests.

26. Bob Wilkinson on 23 January 2016 at 1:27 am

All the best Paul to you and your family!
    Enjoy your new abode!

27. Frank Booth on 23 January 2016 at 2:07 pm

All the best on the rest of the move for you and yours. Cannot wait to see your new shop in action. I LOVE the fact that my shop is about the same size as your shop. It blows my mind that one of the best woodworkers in the world will be in a somewhat modest shop just kicking butt.

• Paul Sellers on 23 January 2016 at 6:03 pm

Well, believe it or not I just got an email from someone who said that he was just getting around to “building a little shop in back of his house.” and it was 25′ by 35′ with 10′ ceiling. Talk about slumming it!

• Gordon on 23 January 2016 at 6:37 pm

25x35x10′; it’s a hard life for some isn’t it!

My garage ceiling is so low I occasionally hit my head on it, and it’s not as though I’m particularly tall.

• Derek Long on 23 January 2016 at 8:43 pm

It sure makes me feel better about my 20×20 garage-workshop I have to share with the lawn mower, tires, garbage can and everything else.

• Frank Booth on 24 January 2016 at 2:05 pm

Ha! Must be rough. The great thing about a hand-tool shop is that I now have the space I need; I always yearned for a large 60 x 40 shop with 12 foot ceilings so all my machines would have plenty of space and I could maneuver around easily, but now that I’m changing into a hand-tool shop I find that I am getting rid of many of those machines and the space I have is plenty adequate; it’s a great feeling to know that really nothing holds me back from building what I want now with the added benefit of being a BETTER woodworker! 🙂

28. radarroger on 25 January 2016 at 10:42 pm

Hi Paul
    I only found your You Tube videos just before Christmas and now I have finally accepted retirement they have become very pertinent as I now have time, I hope, to get woodworking and woodturning.

One question concerning your workshop, have you planned where everything is going?

My wife and i moved house 7 months ago and it involved me moving from a 20′ by 20′ brick garage that I used for my business (storing the wood working tools that I sold and imported from America) plus the odd wood working job into a new property with no garage and a 8′ by 6′ shed.

I have seen better sheds on bonfires, it has more holes than a colander. I did get permission for a new workshop 16′ by 12′ and it is up and I am now happily ensconced.

I raise the question about planning the layout because the layout I have now is not at all like I planned. It has gone through three layout changes to what I hope will be the final one. Funnily in moving house I think I have suddenly realised that hand tools offer a better way forward than a shop full of power tools, maybe being retired gives one time to use hand tools.

Where in the UK have you put down roots, I note that your got your priorities right and sorted the kitchen first.

Welcome back!

Regards
    Radar Roger

29. Mike Towndrow on 27 January 2016 at 9:02 pm

Welcome to Abingdon Paul.
    With the school moving to Oxfordshire, me attending one (or more) of your courses is going to be very hard to resist!

30. jasonharasimo on 30 January 2016 at 11:30 pm

Enjoy the new shop!

31. Ian on 4 February 2016 at 7:24 pm

Welcome to Abingdon Mr Sellers, Good choice sir, as a life long dweller of this humble town I wish you and your new venture all the best. As a word of advice though. ..Avoid the A34 if you can ! Looking forward to seeing what the new school has to offer and location ?

• Paul Sellers on 4 February 2016 at 8:57 pm

I am enjoying the brief respite I am getting and trying to discover the walks around the Thames and such. The town is nice enough too. I like small. It is much more aggressive though; cyclists, cars, trucks and buses. Suppose I must get used to that though. Looking more for back roads. Much more crowded, but I do like it and am enjoying the choice we made.

• Alan on 28 February 2016 at 9:32 pm

I moved from a house in Sussex to an upstairs apartment in Prague, Cz. It’s surprising what you can get used to and find work-arounds for… Nearly finished building my first workbench (600 x 1200mm is the biggest I can fit in!). No cast iron Bailey planes from car-boot sales here, but the wooden ones commonly available actually work surprisingly well with a bit of tweaking. I wish you and yours happiness in the new location and thank you very much for your generous online help and inspiration to folks like me.

32. . , arnold espenberg on 24 December 2016 at 1:09 pm

I have watched all your vids, but never new you were in the us all this time I thought you were in the uk. I wish you will post weare you are in the vids

• Paul Sellers on 24 December 2016 at 2:10 pm

Easy. I live and work in the UK. I lived in the USA for 23 years but have lived back in the UK since 2009. I also teach and travel to teach so I can be in other countries. So far all of the video work ever done is from the UK in our own studio. We employ our own film making team to produce our films, write blogs and articles and then our books too full time.

• Danny Roberts on Pallet Wood, Trash Wood, TreasureGood for you, Paul, in encouraging re-use (not just pallets) of our nature-given resource - wood. And to the rest of you writing above who are doing similar in many different ways…
  • Ross Hollinger on As Boring Things Go…Paul, I was a power-tool woodworker for years. I can thank that, in part, for my hearing loss (yes, even with hearing protection. Two years ago, I found you and all that changed (w…
  • Matt Sims on Pallet Wood, Trash Wood, TreasureAlmost everything I make is recycled wood, including from pallets. I buy new when necessary, but avoid it as much as possible, on ecological as much as financial grounds. The piece…
  • Chad Magiera on George Leaves…You're lucky to have known how great a mentor you had in George. Often, people only realize years or decades later how influential a person was in helping them learn to become the…
  • Paul Sellers on My GoalsThere is no risk even if you buy one. If it's not right all of these suppliers will refund you. I suggest you just try it and see how you like it.
  • Paul Sellers on Pallet Wood, Trash Wood, TreasureWhere is it?
  • Joe on Pallet Wood, Trash Wood, TreasureI wish I had all those various woods handy. I'm working on Christmas gifts (one wall clock done and another in progress). I also plan to make those serving trays you showed about a…
Scroll To Top